bicol.politics.com.ph

Nadadaanan na kalsada! Chiz Escudero: Sorsogon slowly returning to normal after ‘Rolly’

0

All national and provincial roads in Sorsogon province are now passable after clearing operations were conducted immediately in the aftermath of Typhoon Rolly, Governor Francis Escudero said on Wednesday.

In a virtual press briefing, Escudero said all roads are now cleared while residents are gradually returning to normal.

“Matapos noong unang araw nang tinaamaan kami ng bagyo alas-kwatro hanggang alas-nuebe ng umaga o humigit-kumulang limang oras (Since the typhoon hit us from 4 to 9 in the morning, more or less five hours), by lunch time po, na-cleared na natin ang aming mga kalye (we already cleared our roads),” Escudero said.

Around 20 electric posts were destroyed by the typhoon, he said, but the damage was repaired.

Electric lines in the province are expected to be restored by Thursday, Escudero said.

“Pinakamatagal na ayon sa NCGP (National Grid Corporation of the Philippines), dahil wala naman pong problema ang aming (the longest time we could wait according to the NGCP, since there’s no problem with our) distribution lines (is on) Nov.10,” he added.

“Passable po Nov. 1 pa lamang ang lahat po ng aming national at provincial roads at patapos na rin po kami sa paglilinis ng mga debris sa mga kalye at mga barangay (since Nov. 1, all national and provincial roads are already passable and we are now completing the debris clearing in the roads and in the barangays),” Escudero said.

Sorsogon recorded an estimated PHP120 million total amount of damage from Typhoon Quinta, the storm which battered Luzon preceding “Rolly”, Escudero said.

“Sa kasalukuyan ang bagyong Rolly tumatakbo pa lamang po sa kulang-kulang 200 milyon o 180 million ang damage ng bagyo (So far, the damage caused by the typhoon Rolly amounted to more or less PHP200 million or PHP180 million),” he added.

The governor said some 16,000 families who moved to evacuation centers have been allowed to return to r repair their homes destroyed by the typhoon.

The provincial government, Escudero said, prepositioned the relief assistance in all typhoon-hit municipalities as part of its disaster preparedness measures.

Sorsogon province has a total of 25 clearing teams composed of personnel from Sorsogon’s Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP), the Sorsogon Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office, and the Provincial Engineering Office.

Escudero said personnel cleared the roads in Barangay Villa Hermosa of Daraga town going to the roads of Polangui, Albay.

“We will try to reach Camarines Sur,” he said.

Escudero said the province will deploy another four composite teams on Thursday consisting of personnel from the provincial government and from the private sector, to augment the relief operations in Catanduanes.

“We already informed Gov. [Joseph] Cua,” he added.

The evacuation centers in the Sorsogon province are now empty.

Escudero said the provincial government has conducted food and cash-for-work programs for residents still reeling from the devastation.

He added all donations given to the province are converted into food and cash-for-work assistance.

Escudero assured that clearing teams are strictly observing the health protocols and minimum health standards during their operations. (PNA)