CamSur Rep. Bordado explains why he disapproved Duterte’s emergency powers
Camarines Sur Rep. Gabriel Bordado, Jr. has explained why he voted against the emergency powers to President Rodrigo R. Duterte to address the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.
Bordado said that the Duterte no longer needs additional powers as the powers granted to the president are already provided in various laws.
“The powers proposed to be given to the President in order to realize the purposes of the bill are already in our laws, wisely apportioned and distributed to the many agencies and offices under the Executive Department and widely decentralized to local government units in order to make the burden lighter for everyone,” he said.
The CamSur solon said even with the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act, the President can order the following:
1. Order the massive procurement of test kits and declare universal testing if need be.
2. Ensure the timely delivery of personal protective equipment (PPEs) to all health workers who are at the frontline as well as soldiers, police officers, and barangay officials manning the checkpoints and monitoring the situation in their areas.
3. Provide free treatment for all Covid-19 patients.
4. Heighten the Department of Health’s contact-tracing efforts.
5. Secure enough medical equipment for our hospitals.
6. Provide enough hospital beds for Covid-19 patients.
7. Establish new hospital wings for Covid-19 patients.
8. Allocate extra compensation and temporary housing facilities for frontline workers.
9. Craft enough safety nets for the poor.
10. Grant financial assistance for daily wage earners.
11. Develop economic packages for businesses affected by the pandemic.
“Instead of freeing the President of the tasks that departments under him are doing, local government units are undertaking, and the private sector is efficiently executing, our approval of this bill will unduly burden our leader with numerous tasks, disabling him to direct the different courses of action for all of us to succeed,” Bordado said.
“We need our President to lead us in fighting this pandemic. We need our President to orchestrate the execution of coordinated efforts by all Filipinos so we can all live through this experience. Let us not overburden him,” he added.