Bawiin mo! Lagman tells Duterte to take back ‘habeas corpus’ threat
Calling it a “thoughtless” move, Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman said President Rodrigo Duterte ought to take back his remarks on his supposed openness to suspending the writ of habeas corpus.
“A thoughtless articulation of possible suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus or declaration of martial law must be recanted unconditionally to quash the catastrophic alarm which it has provoked,” Lagman said in a statement Thursday, November 17.
Last week, in a speech, Duterte raised the possibility of suspending habeas corpus privileges if only to help police in their campaign against illegal drugs and to suppress an alleged “rebellion” down south.
The problem is, suspending the writ is seen as a prelude to the declaration of martial law if late strongman president Ferdinand Marcos’s previous actions are anything to go by.
“It is not to quell the violence which no less than the administration has fomented, encouraged and condoned like the unabated extrajudicial killings of criminal suspects related to the deadly anti-drug campaign.
“It is more to instill fear to dissuade people from expressing even constructive criticism,” Lagman further said.
The House politiko is a member of the so-called “legitimate” Minority bloc that’s been consistently critical to the Duterte administration.