bicol.politics.com.ph

Sayang naman! Iriga city gov’t fails to use P9M BuB fund

0

The city government of Iriga in Camarines Sur failed to fully utilize its Bottom Up Budgeting (BuB) fund, depriving the constituents of the benefits from the fund, state auditors said.

In a 2016 report, the Commission on Audit (COA) said the city qualified for P13.623 million BuB funding in 2015 for achieving the “Good Financial Housekeeping” mark.

But the auditors noted that only 33 percent or P4.494 million was utilized, leaving an unutilized portion of 67 percent or P9.128 million.

The failure of the city government to optimize the fund “depriv(ed) the poor and the marginalized sectors of the city with the benefits envisioned by the program,” the auditors said.

Among the partially utilized and unutilized BuB projects include a P2.7 million BuB fund for sustainable livelihood program for marginalized sectors, P1.19 million fund for LED television and DVD players for day care centers, P1.497 million scholarship grants to out-of-school youth, and a P4.8 million fund for the construction of a road pavement and open drainage canal.

The COA urged the city mayor Ronald Alfelor to direct the BuB focal persons to fast track the implementation of the programs, projects and activities under the BuB. The management promised to expedite the completion of the BuB projects before the end of 2016.